Which Chinese Zodiac Animal are you?
· Rat: 2008, 1996, 1984, 1972, 1960
· Ox: 2009, 1997, 1985, 1973, 1961
· Tiger: 2010, 1998, 1986, 1974, 1962
· Rabbit: 2011, 1999, 1987, 1975, 1963
· Dragon: 2012, 2000, 1988, 1976, 1964
· Snake: 2013, 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965
· Horse: 2014, 2002, 1990, 1978, 1966
· Goat: 2015, 2003, 1991, 1979, 1967
· Monkey: 2016, 2004, 1992, 1980, 1968
· Rooster: 2017, 2005, 1993, 1981, 1969
· Dog: 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970, 1958
· Pig: 2007, 1995, 1983, 1971, 1959
The Great Race - found here.
Long ago in ancient China, legend has it that the Jade Emperor announced a great race of all the animals in order to determine who would become part of the calendar - and that the 12 who arrived first would be selected. At the time, the cat and the rat were good friends. When they heard the news, the cat said to the rat: "We should arrive early to sign up, but I usually get up late."
The rat promised to wake his pal up so they could go together but, because he was so excited, forgot and went alone.
On the way, the rat bumped into the tiger, ox, horse and other animals - who were all much faster than him.
He hatched a plan and convinced the ox to carry him on his back - on the condition that the rat sang throughout the journey.
The ox arrived first, but the rat sneaked in front of him and became the first lucky animal.
By the time the cat arrived, the selection was over - which is why the cat hates the rat and will always try to chase and kill him.
A longer version of this wonderful legend can be found here.
Black Dog of Hanging Hills – USA
The Dog and the Pig – India
The Dog and the Sparrow - Grimm
The Faithful Dog and the Serpent - Jewish
The Giant Dog - Eskimo
The Golden Beetle or Why Dog Hates Cat - China
The Sheep, the Shepherd and the Dog - Fable
Spectre Dogs – England
The Three Dogs - Germany
The Tortoise, the Dog and the Farmer - Africa
Why Dogs Sniff Tails - Iroquois