1. "We're Going On a Bear Hunt."
2." Herman the Worm"
3. "What Do You Do With a Brand New Sailor" (we changed the original Irish bar song of "What do You do with a Drunken Sailor) - Such a catchy tune we all loved so we had to use it!!!!
"We're Going On A Bear Hunt" Script
"Herman the Worm" Lyrics and Video
"What Do You Do with a Brand New Sailor?"
Each day we reviewed life on a ship before there were cruise liners and engines. Vocabulary and gestures were learned and practiced such as:
1. Throwing the anchor over board (we had to discuss the heaviness of an anchor and its purpose and how it was attached to a heavy metal chain)
2. "Hoist the sails" - we practiced pulling down on an imaginary rope. We definitely needed a real rope to use with each child so they could feel where their hands were placed so pantomiming would be easier.
3. Saluting the captain
4. Hold on tight
5. Swab the deck - We used a broom first and then pantomimed the action
We also created our own ships with sails, anchors, crow's nests, and mermaids. I wish I would have taken more pictures but here's one with your youth teller and volunteer, Gloria Kunnapilly, helping Leo with his ship. I hope the sails got fixed since they're both facing each other - haha.
Our video of the kids' story is below. They really worked at this and did a fantastic job. You'll see the difficulty some had but what a great learning experience they won't forget!
wood blocks - They were hit right after our teller would introduce her title: Problems (Blocks hit once) Problems (blocks hit once) Problems (Blocks hit once.)
rainstick - mosquitos
wooden frog and stick - frogs
rattles - snakes
You can access the audio of the story HERE