"Every Hero Has A Story." My Blogging From A to Z theme bridges the summer library reading programs throughout the U.S. with storytelling opportunities, ideas, and activities.
1. Once upon a time, a long time ago in India, there lived a thoughtless, yet ferocious lion who for game, hunted more animals than he could ever eat. He would flex his muscles, roar his loud roar, and then proceed to do the same each day.
2. Animals of the jungle were terrified knowing that eventually there would be no animals left. They gathered together and agreed to meet with the lion and offer an animal a day to the lion to stop his greedy, unnecessary hunting. The meeting took place.
3. "I accept your offer," said the lion. From that moment on, one animal would go to the lion's den each day to be eaten.
4. It was eventually the rabbits' turn to choose one from their group to walk to the lion's den. The old, wise one immediately volunteered. He told stories to the baby rabbits first, said his goodbyes to his family and friends, and hopped off.
5. This rabbit took his time to get to the lion's den - he dawdled here, nibbled there, and conversed with any animals he came upon. He finally arrived quite late to the lion's den.
6. Lion was beside himself with anger - "Why are you so late? I'm starving."
7. The wise old rabbit explained that he would have been there earlier but was stopped by another ferocious, evil lion with knarly teeth, sharp claws, and a large mouth - "He looked quite like you," commented the rabbit.
8. The lion went bazerk with rage - "Another lion has invaded my territory? Well, we'll see about that. Where is he now rabbit?"
9. "Oh, I know exactly where he is," and rabbit led the lion to a deep well filled with crystal clear water. "He is in there King Lion. Look for yourself."
10. The ferocious lion peered into the well, saw his reflection in the water and roared his terrible roar. That roar vibrated off the water in the well and echoed back to him with an even louder raging roar!
11. "Who are you?" shouted the lion. The echo sounded right back - Who are you? "Why, I am the KING of the jungle!" roared the lion. The echo roared right back the same. The lion was so crazy with hate that he responded "How dare you call yourself a King." Of course the echo shouted back with an even louder conviction ; How dare you call YOURSELF a King! This was all the lion could take. He thrust his sharp claws out and showed his teeth and jumped squarely into the deep well - SPLASH!
12. The wise old rabbit hopped back to the animals of the jungle to tell them the ferocious lion fought against his own reflection and lost.
13. Moral: Cleverness is superior to brawn!